July 30, 2014, 11:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Camping with no hook ups- Generators?  (Read 4568 times)
neVar
Wheel Chocker

« on: June 30, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »

So we just upgraded to a 1998 Coleman sunridge (ground tour) from a 1971 Steury.  So excited.  I show dogs and our first trip is going to be to a show in Calgary and we're setting up on site- which means no electricity.

I have a generator and plan to take it with- any tips/suggestions etc? We'll try to keep  electricity use to a low- we're there for 4 days (thursday evening through to sunday afternoon)

We`ve never had a battery, or ummm a fridge, or propane that worked- or water LOL It will be a learning curve- Mom and Dad have a big RV but well dad`s about as helpful as no knowledge as then he just all stresses.   PopUp Grey
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »

So we just upgraded to a 1998 Coleman sunridge (ground tour) from a 1971 Steury.  So excited.  I show dogs and our first trip is going to be to a show in Calgary and we're setting up on site- which means no electricity.

I have a generator and plan to take it with- any tips/suggestions etc? We'll try to keep  electricity use to a low- we're there for 4 days (thursday evening through to sunday afternoon)

We`ve never had a battery, or ummm a fridge, or propane that worked- or water LOL It will be a learning curve- Mom and Dad have a big RV but well dad`s about as helpful as no knowledge as then he just all stresses.   PopUp Grey
Do you have AC and do you plan to use it?

What size is the generator (Make, watts & model).

What do you plan on using the generator for? (microwave oven..... battery charging...... branding iron?Huh?  Wink)

You will want to run the fridge off of propane of course but what size/age is your battery?

Will your dad's RV be close by?? Does his RV have a generator that you could run an extension cord to?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:07:49 PM by wavery » Logged

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
neVar
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

No AC. No microwave- mostly thinking to recharge battery? I'll be running my dog high velocity dryer off of it as well- but not connected via the trailer.
Battery (according to receipt- don't have trailer here to go look at it) says "12v RV battery"

Mostly wanting to run the lights at night- charge my cell phone, ipad maybe run the dvd player sorta thing

I also have a plug in cooler i'd like to run at least a few hours a day to keep things cool.

The dog dryer is ubber energy draining.  So plan is to run it direct off the generator-
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:00:27 PM »

I would recommend that you purchase a 3-stage "Smart" battery charge (minimum 15A .... better would be 25A) sorta like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-SpeedCharge-Charger-included/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341100407&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+charger

Use it to charge the battery anytime that the generator is running for some other use.

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

neVar
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »

Cool i will see if i can find one of those!

Forgot to add this is the 'baby' generator we have
http://flyerscoupons.ca/canadian-tire-genmate-2-stroke-800w-generator-99-99-reg-179-99-a-canada-6085
austinado16
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »

Welcome to PUX!!

You'll definately need the generator to power the dog dryer directly.

I'd suggest not bringing the powered cooler.  They use a lot of power and will kill the camper battery in just a few hours.  That kind of drain will damage a battery.  If you need more cold storage than the onboard fridge (running on propane) just bring a regular large cooler with 10-15lbs of ice in it, and keep it in the shade.  If you have any of those blue ice blocks, or feel like buying some, put those in the deep freeze at home and get them frozen solid, and put them in the very bottom of the cooler. That cooler will stay cold for a week.

Otherwise, your camper battery will likely last just fine, without needing charged.  Be sure to bring the 12v charge cables that are needed to connect your generator to the camper's battery.
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »

Cool i will see if i can find one of those!

Forgot to add this is the 'baby' generator we have
http://flyerscoupons.ca/canadian-tire-genmate-2-stroke-800w-generator-99-99-reg-179-99-a-canada-6085
I doubt that generator will even be big enough to use the blow-dryer (if it uses any heat at all). Check the specs on the blow-dryer. My guess would be that it may be 1200W or so. Your 800W generator will only power something 800W max. If your blower doesn't have heat, it may work.

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

austinado16
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »

800w 2 stroke?  Meh, I see a Honda eu2000i in your future.
Brewster
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »

800w 2 stroke?  Meh, I see a Honda eu2000i in your future.

+1   Wink

12 Banshee SV1
07 Toyota Tacoma
Nights camping 2012.     25
neVar
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »

well a new generator is way out of the budget now.  Single mom in school and all.

Hair dryer has no heat and works off low and high settings- only need it on low for what we'll be doing on site- the generator we have works it fine- have used it before with this dryer.

thanks for the advice guys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: